Tuesday, November 6, 2007

VSTS Web Test Error Found

I previously mentioned that I was intrigued by the Visual Studio 2005 Web Test feature, but was having issues with actually running my tests on an application which uses Forms Authentication (See the prior post: Visual Studio 2005 Team Edition Web Test)

Well it turns out I found my answer, and I don't like it. I found a knowledge base on MSDN which describes my issue (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/936005). It turns out that Forms Authentication doesn't work at all! This is after I saw other places that seemed to indicate it would work flawlessly.

How in the world does this make it out the door? They say they have a hotfix for it (which you have to go through holy hell to actually get btw), but why is it a hotfix and not at least something which was fixed by SP1? People, Visual Studio 2005 has been out for over 2 years, and this basic piece of functionality still doesn't work? How is that acceptable?

The quote in the "Cause" section of the knowledge base is priceless.


This problem occurs because the cookies in Visual Studio 2005 Team System use the Request for Comments (RFC) specification. However, some Web browsers do not use the RFC specification. For example, Internet Explorer does not use the RFC specification.


I would have expected Internet Explorer to have been the one browser Microsoft actually tested with. How would Microsoft put out a tool that doesn't properly support its own browser?

I'm not sure if I'll just wait for Visual Studio 2008 to see if that resolves my issues (it is due for release this month after all) or if I should look for a way to run my tests without using Forms Authentication.

--John Chapman

1 comment:

Christian Pietersen said...

I had a very similar problem to this, but in my situation forms authentication was working with my test yesterday but not working this morning. My tests were running very much faster and succeeding but that is because all it was doing was redirecting to an "access denied" page! After a while we worked out that the difference was that IIS had been configured to Allow .Net 2 last night. I have no idea why this would have messed up authentication but running aspnet_regiis.exe -u in the "C:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v2.0.50727" folder solved it for me and now my test runs ok and authenticates.

Blogger Syntax Highliter